Hiring a painter doesn’t seem to be a major decision but when you are putting your trust into someone to improve your home in any way it’s a good idea to ask a few questions to make sure you get the results.
Question to Ask a Painting Contractor Company
1. How long have you been in business? If you find yourself talking with a painting company that has been in business for more than 15 years you’re in good hands. Bad painters aren’t in business for long.
2. Can I get referrals? Talking with previous clients is a great way to find out about the work a company does. If a company isn’t willing to provide you with referrals, it’s a red flag.
3. Who will be doing the work? The person who comes for the estimate may not be the one doing the work. Ask how much experience the person(s) who will be doing the actual painting and if they will be supervised at all.
4. What kind of paint will you be using? Paint can cost anywhere from $20-$70 a gallon, depending on the color, finish and quality if it. It’s good to go with one somewhere in the middle. The cost of the job can vary greatly depending on the paint that will be used. Make sure you get the paint you’re paying for by asking for receipts.
5. What will the prep work entail? Depending on the age of your home the prep work will differ. Newer homes will need a coat or two while older homes will need more, stripping, sanding, filling and/or repair along with primers may be needed before the painting starts.
6. What kind of problems have you found? You do not want to be halfway through a job and find out they want to charge hundreds or thousands more because an issue has all of a sudden appeared. Experienced companies will let you know about any and all potential problems before the job gets started. Have them tell you the worst-case scenario before you accept a bid.
7. How long will it take? A reputable painting company should be able to provide you with an accurate estimate as to how long the job will take with a completion date and also have a plan in place should a painter get sick or in the case of any other delay. You do not want to go with a company that overbooks and takes longer to finish the job than they should.
8. Is there a warranty? Choose a company that provides a warranty and a follow up a few weeks after the job is completed to take care of any issues that may arise. The kind of warranty a comply offers can give you a good idea about how they do their job.
9. What are payment options? Most painters will ask for a deposit because they have to buy the paint and supplies for your house. Steer clear of companies that want more than half up front or ant the whole amount before they start. A deposit to start the work, installments as the job moves along and then the rest when the job is done is the norm.
Professional Painting Services in Brooklyn, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Rye, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Glen Head, White Plains & Manhattan, New York
Ask these questions when you are hiring a painting company, so you’ll be happy with the results. Call New York Painting Services today for a consultation.