No one ever thinks about what they would do if their home were inflicted with water damage, until their home is inflicted with water damage. Pipes could burst, appliances can malfunction, and roofs can deteriorate causing leaks from rain storms to drain into your home. There are more scenarios that can leave you with water damage then you may think. Upon discovering the flood, keep in mind to remain calm and move quickly. Water can cause more damage than you might suppose, and time is of the essence to minimize the damage it can ensue.
New York Painting Services shares with you the things you should know when dealing with water damage and restoration.
There are a few things you can do to get to work, but if the flooding water is overwhelming and difficult to maintain, consider investing in a professional that has the equipment and expertise to handle the mess.
– Clean Up Water Damaged Belongings. Start by shutting the power down at the breaker box to prevent electrical catastrophes. Unplug all electronics, and remove them from the room. Try to clear the room of your furniture and other belongings. If they have gotten wet, take what you can outside to start drying, and the other things allow them to be spaced out. Open windows and flip on fans, so that they can start drying until you can you afford more attention. Once everything is removed, the standing water needs attention.
– Water removal. Wet vacuums, water pumps and other similar devices could be used to help remove the excessive water. If you don’t own this equipment; home improvement stores often carry them for rent or to buy. Try to clear away as much water as you can. Once the water has been removed, apply towels to absorb the underlying water. After you have done all you can, flip on the ceiling fans if you have them, open the windows and doors, and set out area fans to speed the drying process. Be cautious, water can fester under wood or carpet, and if left untreated could be the starting ground for mold to take root.
– Care for Personal items. While the floor is being dried, tend to the person effects. Fan out books and magazines to save the pages. Towel-dry everything you can by wiping the surfaces. Blot the upholstery to lift away the penetrated water.
– Assess Water Damage. If you didn’t enlist the help of a professional, check out the structure of your home. Floors, walls, ceiling, everywhere the water had come into contact with and ensure the integrity is true. If you notice mildew or mold, call a professional immediately. If the wood or carpet is compromised, call a professional.
– Disposal. If anything has become ruined, it should be disposed of properly.
Water, Flood & Fire Damage Restoration, Drywall Repair, Texture, Interior & Exterior Painting in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Bronxville & White Plains New York
Water restoration, unfortunately, is not a cheap process, but many insurance policies can help with the cost. Get the insurance involved and find out the specifics of what the insurance will cover. In getting your home restored, consider getting a professional involved who knows water restoration. Foundation issues, mold contamination, and other related damages need special care, repairs, and disposals to get your home in a durable and efficient state again. New York Painting Services have a team of professionals that have been trained and have the expertise to help you with water damage restoration. We can replace drywall and apply new texture and paint so that your walls and ceilings look even better than before the disaster! Call us today to get started!