Planning a remodel or renovation in your home is a rewarding challenge. Whether your home is need of some major changes due to deterioration derived from age, making adjustments for a growing family, or simply just craving a change; the remodel is something to look forward. However, if you are not organized, methodical, and prepared, your remodel can be a disaster with unpleasant results. To ensure your remodel is executed with precision, smoothness, and superior workmanship, you need to plan and map out the remodel. Today, we at New York Painting Services would like to share some tips and advice on planning your remodel for your home.
Tips & Checklist for Planning a Home Remodel & Renovation Project
1) Planning Ahead for the Renovation. Planning well in advance is beneficial for a number of reasons such as; preventing delays, detailing the budget, and simplifying the remodeling process as much as possible are just a few advantages. Committing to the details of the remodel promotes a smoother process. Get the paint and color, flooring type (carpet, hardwood floor, tile, etc), and design of the layout for example. By committing to your intended vision, you can properly budget and project a timeline to get your remodel done. The planning and scheduling is the foundation of executing a remodel efficiently and with the help of your professional consultation services, many of these avenues will be accomplished.
2. Longevity of Remodel. One thing most people don’t think about is the future concerning their remodel. Many of these alterations are going to require specific maintenance and care. If you are not willing to be diligent in something that requires a lot of maintenance, opt for a substitute that doesn’t require as much time and hard work. Remodels and renovations are a considerable investment and to retain the life expectancy of the various choices you implement in your home is something to factor in while making the decision.
3) Realistic Remodeling Expectations. Delays, snags and dilemmas are part of the project and to be expected. Though many professionals are focused on staying on schedule, there are uncontrollable circumstances that can impact the remodel in some form. Already having the mind set of possibilities going wrong, will help you better deal with them as they come up. Remember, there are human beings doing the work, and miscommunication, or mistakes can happen; even weather conditions can delay things. Not only will you be disappointed without realistic expectations, but the whole experience can be a nightmare. The majority of professionals are eager to make their customers happy for references, build a reputable name, and for return business or referrals, they want your project to be completed in a timely manner, and performed with quality.
4) Remove Valuables & Other Items Before Remodel. Depending on the extent of your remodel, chances are your valuables are going to be in the way. Before the remodel begins, pack and store the non-necessities and treasures. Not only will it help get the job more efficiently, but you will have peace of mind it is safely tucked away. Keep in mind that a remodel means cutting down on some livable space, and allowing the crew a place to work. Reducing the clutter is helpful. In a construction zone, accidents can happen. For the safety of you, your family, the crew, and your possessions; store your valuables somewhere safe until the remodel is complete.
5) Communicate With Remodelers. Your hired professional cannot read minds and it’s important to express your ideas. Be sure to always express your opinions and wants during the consulting and planning process. Your professional is happy to make recommendations for you if there are a few options you want to narrow down or simply need ideas, always communicate.
Painting, Remodeling & More in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Bronxville & White Plains New York
If your New York or New Jersey home is need of a remodel or renovation, contact New York Painting Services and let us help you get started!