Is it time to renew the look of your home, or have you recently moved into a new house and you want to repaint it to help make the home become yours? Repainting is a great and inexpensive way to create a fresh new look in your home. For those first timers, there is some advice you should have before you begin your new projects. New York Painting Services will share with you what you should know before you begin.
Types of Paint Finishes; Flat, Eggshell, Satin Semi-Gloss & Gloss
First know your paints. There are many kinds of paints to choose from and each will produce their own look and feel to a room.
– Flat paints are ideal for ceilings, bathrooms and walls with a few imperfections like nicks and divots you will want to hide. However this paint has it pros and cons such as it is easy to touch up as needed, but also hard to clean.
– Eggshell isn’t recommended for high traffic areas because it can get tainted quickly. It has a low sheen. Eggshell is easily cleaned and repaired for touch ups.
– Satin is a great paint for high traffic areas and also works well on surfaces of furniture, and cabinets. It contains a silky sheen that is easy to clean but can be difficult to touch up or blend together if needed.
– Semi-gloss This paint is recommend for trim work like molding, floor boards and door frames but also works great on walls that are exposed to high humidity like wash rooms, bathrooms and kitchens. Easy to clean mess off of but can be difficult to patch up.
– Gloss is also recommended for trim work only. Gloss paints show imperfections on walls and draws the eye to those areas. It has a shiny surface that reflects. It is best not to overuse this kind of paint.
Oil Based VS Water Based Latex Paint
Then your next decision will be on whether to use Oil Based or Water Based paint known as Latex. Latex paint or water based paint is often used on walls and its fast drying while oil based paint is used on trims and is very durable for high traffic trims like stair railings. If you’re not sure which paint to use, you can always contact a local painting contractor for more advice or services.
Wall Preparation Before Painting
After you have chosen your paint, it is time to prepare for the project. Start by putting together all the supplies and tools you will need for the job. For an idea of what is needed, start by having a paint brush in a few different sizes, rollers, drop cloths, masking tape, towels and a small container of water to help clean any messes. Have a flat head screwdriver for removing fixtures and outlet covers. After you have all the supplies needed, begin clearing the room, this mean all furniture, outlets, light switch covers, pictures, and any other objects off the wall and around them. Then use your masking tape to protect areas that you don’t wish paint to get on. Then cover the floor with your drop cloths to prevent any wanted paint falling or dripping anywhere. Do any repair if needed. If there are any holes, dents, and nicks in the wall, patch them up and blend it in the rest of the wall texture. Make sure to do all your prepping work before you begin painting.
Interior House Painting Tips
You can now begin painting. Start by doing all the trim work in the room first. Use a regular paint brush and start from the ceiling. Once complete, go around any windows, frames, and baseboards the floor if you are painting them. Then you can begin rolling the paint on the walls. Important note: never over soak the brush or roller with paint. It is better to take your time and spread it evenly on the wall without the extra stress of dripping paint on the floor. This is just messy and a waste of paint.
Interior & Exterior Painting in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Bronxville & White Plains New York
New York Painting Services hopes to give good advice to better prepare the do it yourself painter for their task. If you are in need of any assistance with your painting or home renovation projects, New York Painting Services will provide a professional look you desire. Call us today.