Having a deck at the back of your home can create endless hours of entertaining. They are a great place to sit and take in the beauty of the world around you. Decks can be made of several different types of materials, but if you have chosen to build your deck out of solid wood, it requires a little TLC every now and then. New York Painting Services would like to talk about the pros and cons of painting versus staining your solid wood deck.
Pros to Painting Your Solid Wood Deck
When you decide to paint your solid wood deck, there are pros and cons that come with it just like anything else. Here are a few pros:
1. Deck Color – When you decide to paint your deck, you have thousands of colors to choose from. The possibilities are endless.
2. Paint Thickness – Paint is thicker than stain and can actually fill in blemishes on your deck. If you have damage from years of weather, painting can help repair some of them.
3. Protective Paint – In most cases, paint offers wood more protection from the sun, rot, and mold than stain.
4. Ease in Cleaning Painted Surfaces – Cleaning dirt and dust off of a deck that has been painted is fairly easy since the paint creates a nice hard shell. You can usually easily clean your deck with soap and water depending on the color you choose.
Cons to Painting Your Outdoor Wood Deck
1. Irreversible – When you choose to paint your deck, it is extremely difficult to go back. Make sure it is what you really want before you put that first coat of paint on your deck.
2. Paint is Slippery When Wet – When a deck that has been painted is wet, the surface can be quite slippery.
3. Hidden Beauty – When you decide to paint, you lose the natural beauty of the wood grain.
Pros to Staining Your Solid Wood Deck
Here are some pros and cons that come with staining rather than painting your deck. Pros:
1. Natural Beauty of Stain – When you choose to stain your deck rather than paint, you preserve the natural beauty of the wood grain.
2. Ease of Stain Application – Stain is generally easier to apply than paint. It is considered easier to work with since you can miss a small spot and it goes unnoticed, where this isn’t the case with paint. Stain is more forgiving.
3. Stain Colors – There are numerous color options with stain. There may not be as many as paint, but there are several different colors to choose from nonetheless.
Cons to Staining Your Outdoor Wood Deck
1. Stain has Shorter Lifespan – Stain and sealer generally don’t hold up as long as paint will. This of course is dependent on stain quality and the number of coats applied.
2. Stain Hides Nothing – Staining your solid wood deck will not hide any blemishes in the wood because it is much thinner than paint and it is transparent.
3. Natural Look of Stain – If you don’t like the look of natural wood grain, this isn’t the right option for you.
Deck Painting, Staining, Restoration, Power Washing & Refinishing Services in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Bronxville & White Plains New York
Whether you decide to paint or stain your solid wood deck, New York Painting Services can help you. With years of experience, we can help you attain the goals you have in mind with the look of your solid wood deck. Call today for an appointment!